About 200 cattle---both cows and calves---died in a community pasture between Swift Current and Moose Jaw.
The discovery was made Friday in a pasture operated by Shamrock Grazing Ltd, south of Chaplin.
Another 240 cows and calves were moved to a different field in the pasture, which has 23,700 acres and 31 patrons.
Preliminary post-mortem and test results indicate the suspected cause of death to be dehydration and/or salt toxicity. The water source was a dugout, which may have become unsuitable due to evaporation and resulting concentration of salts in the water. Further testing of the dugout water will occur.
Several on-site post-mortems were also conducted. Several of the dead and surviving animals were sent to the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon.
The Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture is reminding livestock producers to check their water sources on a regular basis.