The cat is out of the bag, and the bag is full of grass. It seems the liberal government is set to announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1st, 2018. Does that mean Diefenbaker Park in Saskatoon on Canada Day next year will be rife with pot fumes? We will see. This could prove to be one of the most dizzying social changes this country has ever seen, certainly in the modern era, and Justin Trudeau’s father will be rolling over in his grave because, if memory serves, Pierre Trudeau wanted to legalize marijuana in the early 1970’s but Canadian society wasn’t ready for it.
This may be a first: the City taking legal action against the province? The issue revolves around what are called ”grants in lieu”. Municipalities are not allowed to tax the province and so these grants come back in lieu of property taxes for land used by Sask Power, Sask Energy and Trans Gas. Seems fair and this has been routine since the 1930’s! However, the province decided, without telling anyone, to eliminate these grants in the new budget.
We’ve just finished the women’s world curling championship and now the men’s will start this weekend in Edmonton where I’m sure the crowds will be decent, especially if the draw features Brad Gushue’s Team Canada. The women played in Beijing, China. I watched some of those games and if the Chinese women were playing there were perhaps a few people scattered around the arena. When China’s team wasn’t playing I couldn’t see anyone watching from the stands outside of coaches and officials. It’s a mystery to me why they would award a world championship to a city where nobody cares.
Someone told me the other day to just “act naturally” in front of the camera. I thought, “Now there’s an oxymoron if I ever heard one”. It made me think of other oxymorons that we use without even thinking like, ”approximately equal”, “adult children”, “all alone”, “almost ready”, “American English”, “boneless ribs”, “calm winds”, “civil servant”, “climb down”,
Yesterday’s Sasknow.ca News Poll question asked if we cared that there will no longer be a provincial bus service now that STC is being shut down as per the new budget. As of this writing 60% of respondents said no, they didn’t care and the other 40% said yes, they did. I’m not surprised considering we hear that not very many people travel by bus. However, an obvious question to ask is what about those who depend on the bus as their only form of reliable transportation to get from community to community?